Sweet & Spicy Korean Fried Chicken
This is an easy to prepare fried chicken that everyone will love
Servings 3 people
- 500-600 gm Chicken boneless breast or tenderloin work well. Wings can also be used.
- .5 tsp Salt
- .5 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 3 tbsp Chinese Cooking Wine
- .5 tsp Black Pepper
- 20 gm Flour
- 20 gm Cornflour
- 60 gm Rice Flour
- 1 pinch Salt
- 100 ml Water approx
- 1 tbsp Chilli Powder adjust to taste – seems quite a lot but works.
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 3.5 tbsp Corn Syrup substitute with honey
- 1.5 tbsp Soy Sauce
- .5 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- .5 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Chilli Oil Optional
- 1 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1.5 tbsp Gochujang Paste Korean pepper paste
- Chop the chicken into small bite sized pieces.
- Combine with the marinade ingredients and set aside for 15-30 minutes
- Mix the batter ingredients. Adjust water so it's not too thick or thin.
- Drain the chicken and add to the batter mix.
- Deep fry in batches until golden. We are going to double fry so don't go too far. Double frying is essential for that crispy crunchy texture we all love. Once each batch is done set aside on a plate with several paper towels. We will come back to these soon.
- Once the first fry batches are done combine the coating sauce ingredients in a non-stick frypan and bring to a slow simmer to thicken slightly
- While the sauce is simmering and thickening do the second fry of the chicken till golden brown and crunchy. Try a piece to be sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Once cooked drain from frying oil then transfer to frypan with sauce and stir through to evenly coat the chicken.
- Garnish with some sesame seeds and finely cut spring onion.