Orange Fried Chicken
A similar taste to Panda Express Orange Chicken – But much better
Servings 2 people
- 1 Deep Fryer You can use a pan with oil but a deep fryer makes it easier.
- 400 gm Chicken Breast
- 1.5 tbsp Garlic minced
- 3 tbsp Orange Juice 1 Orange usually
- 1 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp Black Pepper
- 75 gm Rice Flour (or use cornflour)
- 40 gm Cornflour
- 40 gm Plain Flour
- 120-130 ml Water
- .75 tsp Ginger powder
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 75 gm Brown Sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Honey
- 75 ml Orange Juice
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 5 tbsp Vinegar White or apple cider
- 2.5 tbsp Cornflour
- 3 tbsp Water
- Cut chicken into small chunks
- Add garlic, salt, black pepper and orange juice and mix
- Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes
- Mix the coating ingredients then add chicken and mix well
- Mix all the sauce ingredients
- Heat the oil in deep fryer and fry the chicken in batches. Don't overcook as it will be fried again. Set aside on paper towels to drain
- Once all the chicken is fried wait 5 minutes then re fry until cooked and golden brown.
- Once all the chicken is done add the sauce ingredients to a small fry pan and heat until bubbling. Cook for about a minute on medium heat
- Then add the starch water in several batches until the sauce starts to thicken. Turn off the heat and stir as it thickens. If it gets too thick add a little water.
- Add all the chicken and stir until evenly coated.
- Garnish with a few crushed peanuts or sesame seeds
- Serve immediately.
Double frying makes the chicken stay crispy. If you only fry once it may appear crispy but will go a bit soggy as the steam softens the chicken.