Cheesy tomatoey basilly deliciousness. I used all three types of tomatoes because I like them all and I wanted all the different textures in the sauce. You could easily omit one and replace it with more of another depending on what you have on hand or how you like the texture.
Baked Caprese Rigatoni
- 500 g Rigatoni uncooked
- 6 Tomatoes small , diced
- 1 can Tomatoes crushed or diced
- 2.5 cups Tomato Pasta Sauce Use your favourite
- 1 Onion samll, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 0.5 cups Basil torn or sliced into ribbons
- 200 g Cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Cook rigatoni according to directions on package. Drain and set aside. Preheat broiler.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté onion and garlic over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring so the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add crushed tomatoes and fresh tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Add half of the basil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add to the pasta.
- Pour in tomato sauce and stir to combine (and you can add more sauce until it’s saucy enough for you if you). Pour into a baking dish or skillet.
- Top with shredded cheese and place under broiler for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining fresh basil and serve.