A great way to use up old bananas. I sometimes freeze them whole once they get past their best fro eating then when I have enough make a big banana cake. Yumm
- 250 g Butter softened
- 1.5 Cups Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Bananas peeled and mashed
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 0.5 Cups Milk hot
- 3 Cups Plain Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- Lemon Juice
- Icing Sugar
- 0.5 tbsp Water hot
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a 23cm round cake tin with baking paper or prepare 4 x 10cm tins (recycled large 425g tuna cans are perfect) or 12 muffin tins.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs and vanilla then bananas.
- Dissolve baking soda in hot milk and add to mixture. Sift over flour and baking powder and fold in.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin(s) and smooth top. Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and the top is springy to the touch.
- One large cake will take 50-60 minutes, allow 45-55 minutes for 4 medium cakes and about 20 minutes for muffin-sized cakes.
- Cool in tin and ice when cool. Store in a sealed container in a cool place for 2-3 days or wrap un-iced cake and freeze.
- Beat together butter, lemon juice, icing sugar and 1/2 tbsp hot water until creamy.